REVIEW: Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Lux #1
Published by Entangled Teen on 8th May 2012
Pages: 335

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something... unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don't kill him first, that is.
Full of snarky banter, hot guys, action and aliens, this novel will keep you turning the pages till the very end! I am not a huge fan of the covers as they come across as a little cheesy, though I do like the colours. (His eyes freak me out!)

When Katy moves to West Virginia, the last thing she expects is Daemon Black. Hot, arrogant and annoying Daemon. I bet she also did not expect to have Aliens as next door neighbours. However, the stakes soon rise and Katy has to put her trust into two people she knows very little about to protect her and keep her alive.

Our protagonist Katy was perfect for this novel, she always stood her ground, was never discouraged, and always looked out for those around her (whether she liked them or not). She also had a guilty conscience which was a nice addition as a lot of female protagonists in YA novel, when in fights, just think about how they look and never think whether they should have really killed them. Then we have Daemon… oh Daemon, with your snarky and sarcastic comments, your gorgeous looks and your (sometimes) kind heart, you will fall for him no matter what. Look out Patch Cipriano, Daemon Black is coming through!

The romance in this novel gladly did not take over the plot, though it was a key focus I was pleased to see that it didn't become an insta-love; it was prolonged. The plot was fast pace and action-packed with tense and edge-of-your-seat moments. You will undoubtably laugh-out-loud and smile-like-a-weirdo at their continuous banter, and then you will bite your nails at the action scenes. What I also loved about this novel was how our protagonist was a book blogger! I MAY have freaked out a little bit, this addition was absolutely perfect and certainly sold the novel; it was a nice touch to Katy's character.

This was an addicting novel of which I am sure will make an absolutely action-packed, dangerous and fun series. The sequel is Onyx, book two in the Lux series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature & Follow

FEATURE & FOLLOW #5

WAITING ON WEDNESDAY (#3)