REVIEW: Madly (Madly #1) by M. Leighton

Title: Madly
Author: M. Leighton
Series: Madly #1
Date of Release: June 2011

Madly is your average nearly-eighteen year old girl—for a princess, that is.

Madly James is thoroughly enjoying her internship in the small town of Slumber when the unthinkable happens—there’s a prison break in Atlas, the magically-protected home of Madly’s race. A traitor has set free eight Lore, the spirits of what humans know as fairy tales, and they are making their way to Slumber to awaken their descendants. 

In order to save her home, the lives of her family, and all of humanity, Madly must learn to wield her exceptional powers and recapture the Lore before it’s too late and all is lost. But Madly’s only help are her two best friends and the Sentinel, Jackson Hamilton, that threatens both her heart and her destiny. Madly has loved Jackson as long as she can remember, but he is the one thing even a princess can’t have. Can she resist love to become the queen she was fated to be? Or can she find a way to have both?

This novelette introduces you to Madly and prepares you for the quest of a lifetime.

This is a fun, light novella just right to quench your appetite for the Mer species. I personally have not read many books featuring Mermaids, however I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I really like the cover, it gives off a hand drawn effect making areas really stand out. Additionally I like the way they incorporated her screaming as I felt this played a really important and key aspect in the story.

Madly James is a Princess with unimaginable powers. However, only when she is married to her betrothed, Aidan, can she learn the laws and the true power of her powers. But what happens when she must learn and use them too early, when her family is in grave danger? We call in Jackson!

Madly is a character of which you will either love or hate. She has qualities of which I disliked, such as her rudeness and expectation that everyone does as she says just because she is the Princess. I also didn't like her threats, especially to  Commander Jessup about losing his job if he didn't answer her... but then she didn't even give him a chance to answer! However, I did admire her strength and you could easily see she is strong enough to lead a kingdom. Additionally, I loved the way she cared strongly for her friends and the surrounding population.

I was very intrigued by the idea of why an author would have a short story for the first instalment, then the second instalment to be a long story. However, I felt it really worked. The first instalment gives you a real taster of the plot without giving too much away, but at the same time pulls you in and makes you want to read the next book. I was a little confused about some areas in the book at times, however, I feel that I can pass this by due to the shortness. Furthermore, I felt M. Leighton included a lot in this instalment, with it being so short, but it really makes you conjure up questions of which will hopefully be answered soon.

I really enjoyed this novella as I felt it was fast paced but not too much to confuse you. The next book in the series: Madly & Wolfhardt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature & Follow

WAITING ON WEDNESDAY (#2)

FEATURE & FOLLOW #5