REVIEW: Hide and Seek (The Lying Game #4) by Sara Shepard

Hide and Seek by Sara Shepard
Series: The Lying Game #4
Published by HarperTeen on 31st July 2012
Pages: 304

My friends and I used to play lying games.

Now my twin sister is living one.

When I was alive, my family seemed picture-perfect. My adoptive parents adored me, and my little sister, Laurel, copied my every move. But now that my long-lost twin, Emma, has taken my place to solve my murder, we’re both learning just how flawed my family really is.

Laurel is shooting Emma nasty looks and sneaking around with my ex-boyfriend. And it turns out my parents are keeping a huge secret—could it be the reason I’m dead?

How far would they go to keep the truth buried? No one can harm me now, but Emma is still fair game. And if she’s not careful, she’ll end up buried, too. . . .
Though I feel the plots of the novels in this series are rather similar, they are certainly still addictive! I love these covers, the colours used are vibrant and eye-catching whilst the mystery of the last book by completing the face is solved but by the end of the novel you have the start of the face for the new suspect.

Now Thayer's name has been cleared, Sutton needs to find out the truth about Laurel as she begins to hint at the fact that she was not at Nisha's party the night of Sutton's death. Alongside this, her growing agitation with Thayer's affection towards Emma begins to grate on Laurel; Emma needs to be careful of Laurel until she can find out if she murdered Sutton or not before it is too late.

My opinions of both Emma and Sutton are much the same as before:
Emma:
  • Loving, kind, friendly, happy-as-she-can-be, determined, gets-into-trouble-on-purpose-if-thats-what-it-takes, sensible, and does not like the lying game. She now easily copes with accusations of things she doesn't know about of which Sutton did as she is very clever in twisting it around to use it to her advantage and acts as clues for Suttons death, making everything that much harder for her. She is also a very likeable character who is mature and practical.
Sutton:
  • Unkind, hates-everyone, goes-along-with-it, ALWAYS-in-trouble, rebellious, selfish, immature, moody, and loves the lying game! She also seems to revel in everyones unhappiness and does not think about others before herself. Now that we have seen her view from the outside... she seems to regret a lot of things she has done, is great at encouraging her sister even though she knows she can't hear her and shows that she can also be practical and think through the situations and come up with valuable and accurate conclusions.

I am though, starting to dislike Emma's boyfriend Ethan. He feels like a character who is becoming too dominant and his protectiveness over Emma is becoming uncomfortable and rather creepy, in comparison to the previous novels.

The plot of this novel I found to be rather similar to the previous novels, as the imagination for the situations occurring seems to be running rather thin. Though there is still danger and suspense, alongside drama and secrets spilled, there was very little to differentiate this sequel from the previous novels. Yet still addictive, this instalment will no doubt have you wanting more, as more questions are risen whilst others are answered.

This is a good fourth instalment to The Lying Game series however, the plots are sadly not unique and individual enough from one another to make it as powerful and dramatised as it should have been.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature & Follow

FEATURE & FOLLOW #5

WAITING ON WEDNESDAY (#3)