REVIEW: Cast in Shadow (Chronicles of Elantra #1) by Michelle Sagara

Title: Cast in Shadow
Author: Michelle Sagara
Series: Chronicles of Elantra #1
Publisher: Luna
Date of Release: July 1st 2005
Pages: 507

Seven years ago Kaylin fled the crime-riddled streets of Nightshade, knowing that something was after her. Children were being murdered -- and all had the same odd markings that mysteriously appeared on her own skin...

Since then, she's learned to read, she's learned to fight and she's become one of the vaunted Hawks who patrol and police the City of Elantra. Alongside the winged Aerians and immortal Barrani, she's made a place for herself, far from the mean streets of her birth.

But children are once again dying, and a dark and familiar pattern is emerging, Kaylin is ordered back into Nightshade with a partner she knows she can't trust, a Dragon lord for a companion and a device to contain her powers -- powers that no other human has. Her task is simple -- find the killer, stop the murders... and survive the attentions of those who claim to be her allies!

The cover is very dark and dominated greatly by blue shades, furthermore it shows off the warrior side of this story.

I began reading this book and my thoughts after a while were, okay... I'm sure it will begin to make sense some when.

But, I'm sorry to say, it did not. When I was reading this book I lost interest very quickly, there was just too much going on. A lot of the characters were introduced together meaning it became very difficult to understand who was who and why they were there. Additionally, I found some of the explanations very long winded, which sadly made my interest lapse at times.

However, I enjoyed the character of Marcus. He was a very dominant character but he did have a soft-ish side creeping through at odd occasions, allowing you to also see his comedic side. But the rest of the characters... They regrettably made no sense to me, I just did not feel as if I could connect with them in any way.

The initial idea and plot of this story was brilliant, with all the different (breeds?) intertwined together and the way they worked... Or in some areas didn't work well together. The numerous city's and towns were written beautifully, allowing myself to picture them with great detail.

However, I am sorry to say, this book truly wasn't really for me meaning I was unable to complete it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature & Follow

WAITING ON WEDNESDAY (#2)

FEATURE & FOLLOW #5