REVIEW: Unearthly (Unearthly #1) by Cynthia Hand

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
Series: Unearthly #1
Published by HarperTeen on 4th January 2011
Pages: 435

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees...
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.
*Please note: there are a few spoilers*

Oh how I really, really wanted to love this!! So disappointing, especially as so many people seem to love this trilogy!  It was okay. But that's it. I think I enjoyed to some extent because it has been a long time since I read an easy, paranormal romance. But otherwise, it was just that, okay. But these covers 😍 They are so beautiful!!!

I realised what really stopped me from feeling immersed in the novel and that made dislike this novel the most,  was our protagonist Clara. I still cannot quite put my finger on what it is I really did not like about her. I found her rather selfish and immature. And she was obsessed with appearance; you were either pretty or not; she didn't believe in everyone being beautiful in their own way. There was this quote that made me think, what? I'm sorry, but your at high school, pretty sure nearly everyone wears a t-shirt and jeans, what did she expect, everyone to be in smart dresses and suits!? Thats how I constantly felt throughout this novel, nothing was ever good enough for her, she had an expectation that everyone wanted to know her, and be her friend. She expected everyone to think she was pretty and amazing. It was like she was in her own fantasy world.

Then the romance. The love-triangle, I knew about this going in, but had heard positive things about it. But what a sadly boring love triangle. She wanted Christian, who she just stared at all the time and felt they were 'meant-to-be' even though they hadn't even spoken to one another. And she would obsess over him then suddenly she is declaring her love for Tucker, then went back to Christian! I much preferred Tucker. Tucker all the way!

The plot was okay. It was addictive, I will give it that. I just felt as though it dragged on too much, there was too much there that did not need to be. Though it was certainly fast-paced and I liked the ease of it, it was easy to understand, nothing complicated and made for an interesting plot. But I would not say: "WOW". There was nothing there for me to think that.

Overall I am rather disappointed in this first novel to the trilogy, and sadly one I imagine I will not be continuing.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature & Follow

FEATURE & FOLLOW #5

WAITING ON WEDNESDAY (#3)