REVIEW: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #1) by Michelle Hodkin

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Series: Mara Dyer #1
Published by Simon Pulse UK on 1st March 2012
Pages: 452

When Mara Dyer wakes up in hospital with no memory of how she got there, or any explanation as to why the bizarre accident that caused the deaths of her boyfriend and two best friends left her mysteriously unharmed, her doctors suggest that she start over in a new city, at a new school, and just hope her memories gradually come back. 

But Mara's new start is anything but comforting. She sees the faces of her dead friends everywhere and now she's started to see other peoples deaths before they happen. Is she going crazy? As if dealing with all this isn't enough, Noah Shaw, the most beautiful boy she's ever seen, can't seem to leave her alone. But does he have her best interests at heart, or another agenda altogether?
Thrilling, dark, addictive and haunting, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer was surprising and not what I originally was expecting. I have heard so much about this series, and have been so excited to read it! Yet I did finish this feeling a little disappointed; I was expecting so much, I purposefully kept myself in the dark about the plot due to it being a psychological thriller, and although I was certainly left surprised and really wanting to read the rest of the trilogy, it was certainly not what one expected. But this cover! It is so mysterious and haunting, especially paired with the rest of the trilogy.

This novel is about Mara Dyer, her alias, who is involved in an accident which kills her two closest friends and her boyfriend. But Mara doesn’t remember anything, she is just left feeling stuck within her inner thoughts. Her family is hovering constantly around her, and Mara needs to get away and move to a new town. But unusual things are beginning to happen more frequently. Mara is seeing her dead friends and boyfriend, and things seem real that aren’t. But when those around her start dying exactly how Mara imagines, things begin to get confusing for her, yet the unlikely Noah Shaw might shine more light on the situation.

Mara Dyer is an unusual character, due to the circumstances of this novel I found it rather interesting in trying to understand her. The bottom line is, I don’t think one ever will understand Mara throughout the whole series. Mara is a complex and dark character, but not only that, she is kind hearted and compassionate, yet Mara is also dark and unforgiving. Mara's character and personality works well with the plot, and although to begin with and especially throughout it is hard understand, you have to keep reminding yourself of the situation Mara is in.

I loved the character of Noah Shaw. At first I was thinking, great this is going to be the typical bad, mysterious guy, but I actually really liked him. He was compassionate and caring, whilst being invested in his education and having other interests other than the stereotypical. Noah was too an interesting character, like Mara I liked how there was more to them than meets the eye. They both had a bit of mystery behind them, but I was surprised and certainly pleased.


The plot of this is what I had a bit of an issue with when reading. I felt sometimes when I was reading, there was a paragraph missing at times, because multiple times I had to go back and reread the page to try and gain a better understanding of what is happening. Additionally, sometimes sentences didn’t seem to make sense to me, I had to sometimes keep reading those too just to try to understand, but still didn’t. It was such shame. But the plot was so addictive none the less, it was thrilling, dark and suspenseful. There were so many twists, the main one I felt was pretty obvious, just because of the letter at the beginning, but otherwise the ending really did surprise me; I wasn’t expecting it at all.

I am very excited and intrigued to read the rest of this trilogy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feature & Follow

FEATURE & FOLLOW #5

WAITING ON WEDNESDAY (#3)